Message From the Director
A warm welcome to our interactive site.
Who are we in the DeKUT community?
What are our products?
Where can you find jobs after training with us?
The Institute of Tourism and Hospitality Management (IToHM) is established to support the realization of the University’s:
- To develop, nurture and produce leaders, managers, researchers and service providers with knowledge, skills, values and behaviours needed to think, create and work towards a sustainable tourism and hospitality industry;
- To establish and leverage on collaborative partnerships with tourism, hospitality, biodiversity conservation and management players in order to enhance training, innovation, research and service delivery;
- To promote biodiversity conservation and management in the University Wildlife Conservancy to enhance its use as a students’ laboratory and an educational Centre as well as it being a sustainable tourism and hospitality model destination;
The Institute boast of competently trained and experienced lecturers in specialized areas including Tourism Management, Hospitality Management, Strategic Management, Wildlife and Conservation Management, who through appropriate methodologies train and mentor future sustainable tourism & hospitality management practitioners.
The Institute offers quality training in the following programmes: four programmes more details are available on the section under programmes:
- Master of Science in Sustainable Tourism & Hospitality Management
- Bachelor of Sustainable Tourism and Hospitality Management
- Diploma in Sustainable Tourism and Hospitality Management
- Certificate in Institutional Accommodation and Catering Operations
- A three weeks short course in: Mountaineering and Outdoor Expeditions Guiding
The Institute has adequate training facilities in Food and Beverage Production; Service Techniques; Wildlife and Tourism Management. The recent facility to be operationalized is Food and Beverage, and Service Lab furnished with high end equipment that allow our students to have a feel of the five star Food and Beverage production. Other facilities include the University Wildlife Conservancy and the IToHM Coffee Shop. The conservancy has luxury tents and ample camping ground that are used by visitors and for training purposes. The diverse flora and fauna in the Conservancy reinforces students training on hands-on tourism aspects for example outdoors experiential training. In addition, our training include field trips that enable students to understand better the wide spectrum of Kenya’s tourism product. Kindly check the gallery section to see the diverse activities students engage in to support learning and enhance their social life.
What are the career prospects?